Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 10: My pirate smile

I took photos last evening. I really wish I had done it sooner but I had a mental block and just couldn't face it.


This first picture is how my eyes close with Bells Palsy. I am still taping and putting a lubricating eye gel on the open one at night.
The second picture is a very soft smile. If I do a regular smile it really comes out looking grotesque and nothing like a smile. Even this modified smile is not something I would be comfortable giving to someone.
Daily Changes
Still sleeping long and waking up drenched in sweat. It's yucky but I am hoping it is my body revving up and burning this disease out. Can still move the corner of my mouth just a smidge early in the morning. I am going to try to record this one of these mornings so I can compare changes. I realized that I need less eye drops during the day now. Maybe my eye has stepped up and started to produce more tears or maybe the super goopy stuff I use at night carries over into the day. To tired to really try to figure it out.
Daily Mood
Super tired. Yesterday and today are the worst for complete exhaustion. And for some reason my business BOOMED over the weekend. I have 97 order to pick, pack and ship. 97 is not sustainable alone on a daily basis, week after week, but it is possible to complete in one day if you are quick and efficient... two skills I am lacking right now. I plod along and get to the post office by 4:40pm. What a long day. Mood is tired and arms are lead weights.
The day in general
Blah. I really wanted to try to find a doctor to give me B12 injections but there was no time. B12 injections seem to be the only proven treatment (well, aside from really expensive hyperbolic oxygen therapy) that has shown actual healing in medical studies. I'd like to do everything I can to help my odds for a full recovery. Tomorrow I hunt down the shots... I hope.
I weighed in at Weight Watchers today. I was happy to run into the leader outside the office as I went in so I could explain my face. It only started to lost control last Monday so this is my first weigh in as a full-fledged Bells Palsy victim.
I feel like I may have lost a lot of weight since it is so hard to eat and food still have very little taste to me. So I leave my jacket on thinking that will help. Down 8.2 pounds in one week! Holy crap. I am really going to have to try to eat more because they gave me a little lecture! It was small but still, hello!, didn't I just tell you... face problem!!! Sheesh. Next week I wear tennis shoes, keep the keys and phone in pocket and what ever else I can think of.

1 comment:

  1. you're lucky; i'm currently 17, but i had bells palsy at age 15.
    it lasted for a little over a month.
    and it was DURING the school year.
    i had to perform monologues in drama class, just a few days after i got bells palsy.
    it was awful:/
    i've never heard of anyone as young as me having bells palsy.
    it sucksss.

    people still make fun of me for it:/

    ReplyDelete